Cal Aggie Christian Association
Agreement and Responsibilities of the Multifaith Living Community
The Multifaith Living Community is open to persons from all faith backgrounds. The Multifaith Living Community does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, creed, age, culture, disability, economic class, gender identity or sexual orientation.
As a member of the Multifaith Living Community, I intend to strive for the following:
Communal life allows for mutual support and encouragement in the often challenging life of students. It calls us to be open, compassionate, and willing to grow. We learn that our lives are interconnected and we have responsibility toward all members as they do to us. In joining this multifaith community, I intend to:
- bring my gifts to the life of this community through serving in a Community Life Position.
- cherish the gifts of others.
- practice hospitality, by refraining from demonstrations of prejudice against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religious belief, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, politics, and/or socioeconomic status.
- take part in community activities, including the Fall Community Retreat.
- attend the Wednesday community dinners, unless my class or work schedule prohibits it and cook community meal with a group once or twice a quarter.
- strengthen my individual relationships within the community by participating in a weekly CA House small group.
Promoting understanding and mutual respect is essential in a multifaith community. In joining this community, I intend to:
- proactively explore my own spirituality.
- be open to learning about and from people of other religious traditions and faiths in my community.
- seek out spiritual mentorship from Campus Minister Rev. Sara Tillema, or from a local faith leader.
- stay open to sharing my understanding of my faith with the community, but refrain from attempting to convert others to my way of believing.
All major faith traditions call for social justice, asking followers to change the attitudes and structures, of themselves and society, which create oppression. In joining this multifaith community, I intend to:
- be just in my thoughts, language, and actions so that my work for justice will have credibility.
- seek to know the truth of situations, rather than relying on my prejudices and biases.
- work with marginalized persons and groups with a spirit of solidarity toward a goal of structural change in society.
- give ten hours of service to my community each quarter (or thirty each year).
Honoring simplicity allows us to value relationships over objects. Living simply brings us closer to awareness of spirit and creation, our humanity, and the affects our lifestyle has on others. In joining this multifaith community, I intend to:
- live life focused on people and relationships rather than objects and acquisitions.
- better my understanding of how my lifestyle choices affect others and also the earth.
- regularly utilize CA House’s recycling and composting systems.
- practice smart resource use, refraining from excess electric, water, and air conditioning usage.
- incorporate walking, biking, and public transportation into my daily life, as much as possible.
Download a copy Here.